Posts Tagged ‘Prophet VS’

The British Empire was Built on Cups of Caps

A slightly mangled version of a quote from a very funny British movie. For those of you who don’t already know I’m actually English and cups of tea are part of my daily routine. Anyway back to the business at hand. All the caps have been removed from the CS70M power supply and I’m waiting for an order of new ones to arrive. Whether that will fix the problem remains to be seen, but as previously mentioned it was a job that needed doing regardless. In the meantime I took the second Prophet VS apart and removed the broken data slider and volume knob. An order for those parts is in progress also, so as soon as that arrives we’ll have two VS’s up and running. I also managed to take an inventory of all the missing knobs/parts of the remaining equipment in the studio, it’s quite some list, but then there’s quite some gear in there after all.


03 2009

Another Completed Job

So the Prophet VS is back together, cleaned and working fine. Here’s a small demonstration video of the beast in action using the arpeggiator.  Fat sounds from the wavetables going through it’s analog filter.


03 2009

One of the Prophets

On the workbench at the moment is one of the Prophet VS that we have. They both need a little attention. First up is this one, cosmetically its in good shape. A few of the buttons aren’t as responsive as they should be. So as usual its time to get it on the operating table for a little exploratory surgery. Once I’d opened it up and had a chance to check out the layout it was a simple task to note down what cables go where before removing the control panel (where the faulty tact switches sit). Once that was out I had to figure out how to remove the switch caps to be able to get access to the switches themselves. This was no small feat, there’s no mention of how to do this in the service notes, and lets face it, you don’t want to force and break them. Eventually I figured out how to remove one, then it was a matter of carefully removing the other fifty of them. I gave them all a good clean and also cleaned the data slider. Next step was to clean the switch caps using my now normal procedure of soapy toohbrushing. Next up will be to reassemble it and check the functionality of the switches.


03 2009