INCLUDE_DATA

Posts Tagged ‘Oberheim’

Oberheim 8-Voice Repairs

Another Oberheim 8-Voice, well actually this is the one from the studio, back in to figure out whats causing it’s problems.  Upon inspection, a card from the programmer is missing. It’s location at this moment is unknown, it was removed before i started working here. Hopefully we can find it and get this machine back to full operational status.

03

12 2009

Oberhiem OBX repair

The next machine is an Oberheim OBX, this one needed tuning and has some issues with saving patches.  After doing the tuning it became aparent that the autotune circuit was misbehaving. I’m currently waiting on some parts to complete the repairs.

Tags: ,

23

11 2009

Oberheim 4-Voice repair

Another Oberheim 4-Voice landed on my workbench. This one had many little problems such as the progrmamer LFO (vibrato) not working. Some of the Envelopes not working correctly and one SEM not functioning as it should. After the usual debugging and parts ordering this fine machine was repaired and calibrated back to it’s original glory.

23

11 2009

Yamaha CS01, Roland JD800 and Oberheim 4-Voice

A few more machines on the workbench. First up was a Roland JD-800 with a broken pitch-bend unit. Quite a simple fix and easy to source the part. A clients Yamaha CS-01 with a missing key, hopefully the spare part will arrive soon and I’ll get that up and running again. And then an Oberheim 4-Voice which had been partially repaired by someone else. There were still some problems with one of the SEMS which I’ve managed to rectify. In fact everything about the 4-voice Sems is now taken care of, but there’s a problem with the programmer unit which I’ll be taking a deeper look at soon. Also it seems like the Oberheim is possessed, see the attached picture.

04

09 2009

A Snappy title brings it…

Brings what? Well we’ve been on holiday here and I’m sitting here trying to come up with a snappy title to this post. Oh well this one will have to do. So anyway, before the holidays much work had been done which wasn’t written about. First off we pretty much finished off the rebuild of the studio, there’s still a few little things to do, but that’s just details. We’ll get some pictures of the new layout up soon. Some of the jobs I worked on before the holidays included fitting a midi expansion kit to a JX3P. The kit enables the client to use the programmer and midi-in at the same time (which wasn’t possible with the stock configuration). It also converts the programmer output to midi cc’s. Another job was replacing the tact switches on the TB-303, a relatively simple one by normal standards. And finally i’ve been working on some client machines, which include an Oberheim OBX-A, Korg Polysix and a Roland SH-101.

10

08 2009

May the force be with you Obi-Eight

So I’m finally back from moving house, I would have posted this sooner but Fredrick sabotaged my Internet connection and hid the data cable to my phone. Still I managed to overcome these jedi mind tricks and so here I am with a new post. On the workbench now is the death star, haha, ok not really, but it certainly looks a bit stormtrooper’ish. Basically it’s an Oberheim 8-Voice. Being a white synth you can imagine it can get pretty dirty pretty fast and the trouble is this one has been dirty a long time. So before the calibrations it was time to give it a good clean. That should be simple enough I thought, just remove the knobs… that was easier said than done. Of course it’s a sign of quality, the knobs aren’t just the simple pull off type. To remove one knob you need to first remove the plastic cap, then unscrew a nut, then the body can be removed and finally you can then remove the clasp that holds the knob to the shaft. So it takes a little while to do that and if you multiply it by the amount of knobs on this beast you can imagine how long it takes just to do this simple task. So I figured I’d start work on one module of the two (basically 4 of the voices) and then after completing that move onto another job that’s waiting in the wings before tacking the cleaning of the other module. This is just to help break the monotony of the task. Once the second module is cleaned up I’ll jump into the calibration which is a lot more interesting.

07

05 2009


Warning: Unknown: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0 Fatal error: Unknown: Failed opening required 'google_verify.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lsws/lsphp56/share/pear/') in Unknown on line 0